Happy Saturday everyone,
Are you enjoying your weekend? I hope you are having a wonderful one! This morning, we woke up knowing we have to organize our basement for our son but we are both tired and it’s snowing outside so we decided we will stay in and do the cleaning later today. So, what does a lazy, exhausted couple do on a Saturday morning: bake a delicious strawberry banana bread on “banana bread day”. As you may already know, we love banana bread around here, so today it’s the perfect the day to bake one. It’s easy to prepare and you can enjoy it at any time of the day with a good cup of coffee. This time, I wanted to try something different then my usual banana bread, so I did what many of us do when in need of a bit of inspiration; I opened “google” and started browsing. I found two recipes I wanted to combine; one is from averie cooks and the other one from Martha Stewart. I followed the directions of averie cooks strawberry banana bread recipe and tried the icing for a banana bread from Martha’s .
I have added the recipe I used to bake this cake, I slightly modified it by using butter instead of oil, but at anytime please feel free to refer to the original one.
One of my favorite combo’s: strawberries and bananas. You will need to divide the banana in half, keep half or your banana in banana slices and mash the rest. As for the strawberries, you will need to separate 3/4 cup in a separate bowl because you will use them at different times in the recipe:
This is how your batter should look after you have combined the sugar, flour, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, white egg and vanilla extract gradually:
fold in 3/4 cup strawberries into the batter, as you can see I used frozen strawberries for this recipe and love how the pieces maintained their shape after the bread is baked:
pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, do you see how the strawberries pieces mixed in quite nicely, don’t forget you will be eating these soon:
Remember the banana slices and the rest of the strawberries? get ready to use your fingers to gently press into the surface of the batter:
Make sure to not press the strawberries and banana slices to deep into the batter, leave them as much as possible on the surface as they will be partially be sucked in by the rising dough. Bake for 55 minutes, as I wrote in the directions; the original recipe recommends 45 minutes, but mine wasn’t prepared until 55 minutes of baking. I had to keep an eye on the bread during the last few minutes to make sure it wouldn’t burn:
This is how the strawberry banana bread looked when it came out the oven: look at those big pieces of strawberries. The house smelled so good:
Let it cool down in the pan for about 15 minutes:
Once your bread has cooled down, remove it from the pan and this is what you will get:
Doesn’t this bread look like an enormous muffin, filled with fruits?
You can start savoring your bread like this, but I wanted to make it more of a dessert, so I tried cream cheese icing in the middle of the bread, please let me share this with you :
Start by cutting your banana bread in half using a bread knife, so you can easily cut into the bread:
Make sure to gently cut the bread in half without putting too much pressure and you should have two perfect slices like these:
Prepare your cream cheese icing: it’s very simple to do with an electric mixer; combine cream cheese, vanilla and a pinch of salt together and mix well until smooth:
use a spatula to start spreading the icing on the bottom half of the bread:
Make sure the cream cheese icing is well spread:
add the top of your bread to the bottom half, do you see how delicious it looks?
Not your typical banana bread anymore!
A close-up picture of the strawberry banana bread, it’s so good. I wasn’t expecting for this bread to be so delicious and moist, there’s banana and strawberry and in every bite:
Enjoy with a delicious cup of coffee!
Thanks again for stopping by!
- banana bread:
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium banana (divide banana; mash half and slice other half in thin slices)
- ¼ cup butter (the original recipe uses ¼ of oil)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries
- cream cheese icing:
- 6 ounces of cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- banana bread:
- preheat oven to 350F
- prepare a 9×5 inch loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper (in the original recipe the author uses foil)
- mix the following ingredients in an electric mixing bowl: sugar, flour, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, the cinnamon and mix
- add the mashed banana to the dry ingredients and mix
- add the oil, the beaten egg whiten and the vanilla until is mixed
- fold in ¾ cup strawberries
- pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- top the batter with the strawberries and the banana slices, you just press them with your finger into the surface of the batter
- bake for 55 minutes (the original recipe recommended 45 minutes, but mine wasn’t prepared until after 55 minutes of baking, make sure to keep an eye on the bread)
- cream cheese icing:
- In an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, salt and vanilla extract until smooth
- once bread is baked and cooled, halve horizontally
- using a spatula, spread cream cheese frosting evenly